Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 2 lbs Unger Meats Beef Stew (2 pkgs)
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
we use Prairie Oils & Vinegar EVOO
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 large Yellow Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 medium Potatoes
- 1 lb Carrots about 6 medium
- 1 – 14.5 oz Beef Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 – 8 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 ½ cup Fresh or Frozen Peas no need to thaw
- If the Beef Stew is not already cut up, cut into 1 ½” cubes. You will work in batches with the beef stew.
- Turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE.
- BATCH 1 – Add 1 tablespoon oil to hot pot. Add HALF of the Stewing Beef, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
– Beef should be in a single layer and not too crowded so that it can brown nicely. Let the cubs of beef cook, undisturbed, for a couple of minutes. Turn and continue searing until brown all over. Transferred the seared beef to a bowl.
- BATCH 2 – Add 1 tablespoon oil to hot pot. Add the remaining Beef Stew, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper
– Beef should be in a single layer and not too crowded so that it can brown nicely. Let the cubs of beef cook, undisturbed, for a couple of minutes. Turn and continue searing until brown all over.
- While the meat browns, dice the onion and mince the garlic, peel the carrots and cut them into ½ “ diagonal slices.
- Remove the second batch of browned beef to the bowl with the first batch. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and then sauté the onion until tender. While the onion cooks, scrub the potatoes and cut into ¾” chunks (we left the peel on).
- Add the minced garlic to the onions. Cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the beef broth and use a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
IMPORTANT – Make sure you remove every bit of stuck-on food so that you don’t receive a “burn” warning. There is nothing worse then getting a BURN warning half way through cooking!
- Stir in the carrots, potatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Add the browned Beef, along with any meat juices that have collected in the bowl. Then pour the tomato sauce on top of everything. DO NOT STIR AGAIN. (The beef and tomato sauce should not be stirred in – just put on top).
- Close and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on High Pressure for 35 minutes, then allow the pressure to release naturally for approximately 10 minutes. Vent to release any remaining pressure, then carefully open the lid. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and water to create a slurry. Add to the Instant Pot and stir until the stew thickens.
- LASTLY, add the peas and stir to warm through.
- Serve hot with crusty garlic bread.