Ungers Smoked Smash Burgers
Created and tested in the Unger Meats Kitchen, this Smoked Smash Burger is out of this world amazing! Served with a Smoked Gouda Cheese Crisp, Cracked Pepper Bacon and sweet onions on a Brioche Bun. SERVINGS: 6
- 2 lbs Unger Meats Lean Ground Beef
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 cups Smoked Gouda Cheese finely shredded
- 6 Brioche Buns (or other white soft burger buns)
- Von Slick’s Roasted Red Pepper Butter
- 6 slices Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 lb Unger Meats Cracked Pepper BACON
- 2 medium Sweet Onions sliced
PREPARE THE GOUDA CHEESE CRISPS, BACON & ONIONS
- Heat griddle to medium-high. Add a ½ cup of smoked gouda to the griddle. Spread it into a 4” circle. Repeat with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Let it cook until the edges are crispy and brown. Carefully flip and cook the other side until semi-crisp. They will get hard/crispy once they are off the griddle and cooled a bit. Set aside for later.
- Fry bacon on the griddle until tender crisp and set aside for later.
- Add the sweet onions to the griddle and grill until golden and tender.
FOR THE BURGERS
- Preheat Wood Pellet Smoker to 200 degrees F.
- Divide the ground beef into six equal parts.
- Form into six balls and smoke at 200F for 20-25 mins (we did 30 but we think that’s too long)
SMASH BURGER TIME
- After the burgers are smoked, add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to the griddle (we of course simply used the bacon grease that was left over). Transfer the smoked beef balls to the griddle, and smash them with the Cast Iron press as flat as you can (see tips at the end of the recipe)
- Season with salt & pepper to your tasting.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Watch closely because once they are smashed they do NOT take long at all to finish cooking.
- Flip. Top each patty with a slice of Cheddar Cheese. Continue cooking JUST until the cheese melts.
TOAST THE BUNS
- Spread each bun half with Von Slick’s Roasted Red Pepper Finishing Butter. Toast on the griddle, butter-side-down, for a minute or so until golden.
TIME TO ASSEMBLE YOUR SMASH BURGER
- Place smash burger on bottom half of prepared bun.
- Top with Cheese Crisp and a 2 slices of bacon and onions.
- Top with any other garnishes you prefer (lettuce, mayonnaise, pickles, etc.) the skies the limit!
HAPPY SMASHING! Enjoy!