Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
- 1 large Spaghetti Squash
- 1 pkg Ungers Farmer Sausage Pizza Topping
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large green pepper (or other colour of choice), chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1/2 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (divided – ½ for topping)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Place on a lined baking sheet. Brush the inside of squash with olive oil. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, until a fork can easily pierce the skin.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the garlic, onion and pepper approx. 10 minutes.
- Add the farmer sausage pizza topping and seasonings, saving some parsley to garnish on top. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Whisk milk, egg, and parmesan in a separate bowl and set aside.
- When the spaghetti squash is done baking, use a fork to pull the “noodles”. While they are still very hot, stir in the egg, parmesan and milk mixture and combine gently to COOK the eggs and make a creamy sauce.
- Then add the farmer sausage mixture. Mix well within the squash shell.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and additional parmesan cheese if desired. You can return to the oven for just a few minutes to melt the cheese.