Smoked Apple Crisp
- 6 medium sized Apples (tart and crisp is best),
peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- Juice of one Lemon
- ¾ tsp Cinnamon
- ¾ cup Old Fashioned Oats
- ⅔ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Flour
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter, cold, cut into small pieces*
- ¼ cup Vonslicks Salted Caramel Finishing Butter
- Gourmet Inspirations Salted Caramel Whiskey Dessert Topping
*note: if not using the Vonslicks Salted Caramel Butter, increase regular butter to ½ cup
- Prepare your wood pellet smoker to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Prepare cast-iron skillet. Grease the entire cast-iron skillet with Vonslicks Salted Caramel Finishing Butter.
- Transfer the apple filling to the cast-iron skillet. Cover with tinfoil and cook for approximately 20-25 mins.
- While the apples are cooking, prepare the crisp topping.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon. Once combined, cut in butters (both regular and salted caramel) until you have a nice crumbly topping. It will be chunky from the butter pieces.
- Remove the skillet with apples from smoker and load it up with the crumble topping.*
- Return cast-iron skillet to the smoker (uncovered) and allow to cook for approximately one hour.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes. THEN top with Gourmet Inspirations Salted Caramel Whiskey Dessert Topping.
*we doubled the topping recipe in our video as we love the crispy crumble BUT a single recipe will cover the skillet nicely too 😉