Not Yo Mama’s Roast Beef #1 • Classic Savoury
1 ½ – 2 lb Eye of Round Beef Roast
FOR THE RUB:
- 6 cloves Garlic, fresh, minced
- 3 Tablespoons Montreal Steak Spice
- 3 Tablespoons Smoked Paprika (smoked is key here)
- 2 Tablespoons Oregano
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper (lots)
- 4 squirts Liquid Smoke
- ½ cup Prairie Oils & Vinegars Garlic Infused Olive Oil
*all these measurements were approximate (that’s what my mama taught me). You really want to be generous with the rub. The Garlic Olive Oil is your carrier so base your dry ingredients on how much oil you use. You want a nice thick and chunky rub and you want a thick layer of it on your roast!
- Combine all Rub ingredients, mix well and rub all over the roast. Don’t skimp here 🙂
- Wrap roast tightly in plastic wrap…no gaps, tight seal.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight (at least 12 hours)
FLAVOUR INJECTING INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups Beef Broth (we used Knorr Concentrate)
- ½ Melted Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- One hour before you are ready to bake the roast, remove from refrigerator and inject with broth mixture.
- Combine broth, melted butter and Worcestershire and mix well.
- Inject roast generously (and slowly).
- Then allow the roast to rest on the counter for 1 hour to bring to room temperature.
BAKING & SERVING
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Remove plastic wrap carefully from around roast. Place roast in deep roasting pan – fat side up.
- Pour remaining broth mixture around the roast.
- IMPORTANT! Insert temperature prob into the thickest part of the roast. Tent tightly with foil (around the prob) and bake until internal temperature reaches 125 degrees (for medium rare).
- REMOVE foil and allow the roast to brown up until the temperature reaches 130 degrees. I set my oven to a roast mode for these last few minutes to get a nice crust on the roast. You could also use Broil but watch it closely!
- IMPORTANT! Remove roast from oven and tent with foil. Allow roast to rest for approximately 30 minutes.
- IMPORTANT! Slice very thinly! This is key for any roast beef. Use an electric knife if you have one! Your cuts will be perfect 🙂
- Serve with gravy (made from the remaining liquid in the pan).