Honey Glazed Bone-In Ham
- 1 Ungers Bone-In Ham (Smoked Fresh Ham)
- ⅓ cup Pineapple Juice
- 1 cup Honey
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter
- ¼ cup Whole Cloves (optional)
BRING THE HAM UP TO ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE BAKING
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and arrange your oven rack in the lower third.
- Remove the ham from the sealed packaging, rinse with cold water.
THE RIND (skin): The bone-in hams you purchase from Ungers will have the RIND (skin) on. You can choose to leave it on or remove it – really personal preference. You will notice that right underneath the rind is a beautiful layer of fat. DON’T TRIM THIS FAT AWAY! This fat turns into a nice crispy and sticky coating for your glaze and is delicious.
IF you are removing the Rind, follow these instructions:
- Insert a sharp knife between the rind and fat and run it along to detach both layers from each other.
- Using your fingers, gently separate the rind from the fat. You can insert your hand deeper into the ham to keep detaching it so it is easier to peel the rind off.
- Peel off and discard the rind.
- Score the fat cap by lightly running the knife about ¼” deep all over the surface. If you are using Cloves, stud each cut section with a whole clove.
IF you are NOT removing the Rind, follow these instructions:
- Score the Rind by lightly running the knife about ¼” deep into the layer of fat underneath all over the surface of the ham. If you are using Cloves, stud each cut section with a whole clove.
- Line a baking tray with several sheets of foil or parchment paper (it will make clean up a lot easier later 🙂
- Place the ham in the baking tray; Rind/skin side up. Pour the pineapple juice into the base of the pan.
- Bake, undisturbed for 1 hour 45 mins in 300 F oven.
- Meanwhile, MAKE THE GLAZE: Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until golden browned. Add the honey and brown sugar, stirring to combine until completely dissolved. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until slightly thickened. Set aside and let cool.
- After 1 hour 45 mins of baking, remove the ham from the oven and baste with ½ of the honey glaze.
- Return to the oven and continue baking for 15 mins.
- Remove the ham and increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Pour the remaining glaze all over the ham, brushing in between the cuts to evenly cover the entire ham. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 mins. *If there are any spots that you think are already quite dark and might burn, place a small piece of foil over that spot.
- Once the internal temperature of the ham reaches 145 F, remove the ham from the oven and allow to rest 10-15 mins. Slice and ENJOY!
The total cooking time for a 6 ½ lb ham will be about 2 hours and 15 mins. The first hour and 45 mins will be undisturbed, 15 mins basted at 300 F and 15 mins basted at 450 F. Cooking times may vary depending on the size of the ham and how your oven heats. A good rule of thumb is 20-25 mins per lb for an internal temperature of 145 F.
BONELESS HAM: This recipe can be adapted for a BONELESS HAM as well. The cooking time will be a bit less so adjust your times accordingly. The end result is the same – Internal temp of 145 F.