Chicken Noodle Soup
CHICKEN STOCK INGREDIENTS
(You will NOT be keeping ANYTHING from these ingredients
except the delicious STOCK you get from it)
- Leftover bones & skin from 1 Whole Chicken
- 3 Carrots, cut into 2” segments
- 3 ribs Celery, cut into 2” segments
- 1 large Onion, roughly chopped
- 2-3 Bay Leaves
- 3 slices Fresh Ginger
- 1 bunch Fresh Parsley
- ½ tsp Pickling Spice
- ½ tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2-3 Star Anise
- Combine Ingredients: Place leftover chicken bones and skin into a large stockpot. Add all ingredients and then fill to the top with water.
- Bring to Boil & Simmer: Bring to boil and then turn down the heat to a slow rolling boil. Simmer partially covered for several hours (usually about 3-4).
- Strain the Stock: Remove the bones and vegetables with a slotted spoon or spider ladle, and strain the stock through a fine mesh sieve or cheese cloth. Discard ALL the chicken bones, vegetables & spices.
- You now have beautiful and delicious Chicken Stock ready to be used for fresh Chicken Noodle Soup! Note: the stock is not salted at this point and if I am immediately storing the stock I only salt it right before I use it for soup.
NOTE: At this point, you may choose to freeze the stock and use it another time OR serve it immediately (see instructions below). Carolyn’s side note: I store and freeze broth (or any soup for that matter) in a double large ziplock bag. I know, it sounds crazy but I am not a fan of glass jars in my freezer. They have cracked on me and then the entire soup is ruined. Also, the plastic bags allow me to store it flat…takes up way less space ;).
CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP INGREDIENTS
- Prepared Chicken Stock
- Fresh or ready to use noodles (I use Rede-Made Noodles – medium)
- Chicken pieces (I use a rotisserie chicken)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS FOR CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
NOTE: I always prepare my noodles separately. As you know, noodles that are leftover in the soup broth will simply soak up the liquid and you will be left with just noodles when you are storing any leftovers.
- Prepare noodles as per package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Season the stock with salt & pepper to to your liking.
- Add chicken (approximately 2 cups chopped or shredded).
- Heat Chicken Stock to boiling.
- Spoon prepared noodles into a bowl and spoon hot Chicken Stock over noodles. Viola…Chicken Noodle Soup is served!
- ENJOY with fresh crusty bread 🙂