- 3 lbs Unger Meats Stewing Beef
- 2 Large Onions, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 medium Carrots
- 4 medium Potatoes
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- ½ tsp Dried Thyme
- 4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Dark Balsamic Vinegar (we use Prairie Oils & Vinegars)
- 3 cups Beef Stock*
- 1 cup Red Wine (red wine adds so much flavour – use if possible. If you prefer to not use red wine then increase Beef Stock by 1 cup)*
- 1 can (14 oz/398ml) Tomato Sauce or Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place stewing beef into roasting pan or large casserole. (Unger Meats Stewing Beef comes trimmed and precut but if you are using stewing beef that is not yet cut then trim off any extra fat and cut into 1” chunks).
- Add onions, garlic, flour, salt, pepper, thyme and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Stir in beef stock, wine (or water) and tomatoes. Add Bay Leaf.
- Cover with lid or foil and bake in 350 oven for 1 hour. After the first hour, add the carrots.
- Return to oven and bake 1 more hour. After the 2nd hour, add the potatoes.
- Return to oven and bake another 30 mins or until meat is very tender. If too thick, add a little warm water; if too thin, remove lid/foil and let the liquid cook down.
- Remove bay leaf. Taste…add salt and pepper if needed.