Beef & Mushrooms w/ Smashed Potatoes
- 1 ½ lbs Red Potatoes (about 6 med), peeled & cut into pieces
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- ½ lb Sliced Fresh Mushrooms
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped or thinly sliced (your preference)
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- ¾ tsp Fresh Ground Pepper, divided
- ½ tsp Salt, divided
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) Beef Broth
- 2 Tbsp Butter, softened
- ½ cup Half and Half Cream
- ½ cup French Fried Onions
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with mushrooms and onion and garlic over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain.
- Stir in flour, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes to desired consistency, adding butter, shred cheese and cream and the remaining salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls; top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with French Fried Onions.